Monday, November 22, 2010

Hype: Bit Bonton Buzz

Unfortunately, I've been busy with loads of different stuff recently, so I haven't been updating much. If I'm being honest, though, I could've probably made more time to log on so I'm sorry about the blog being on the back-burner a bit...

Anyway, onto what I actually wanted to talk about, a beautiful looking game called Bit Bonton that's being developed by Team Cascade (comprised of YummyDrumSticks, tardis, TheDigitalMonk and Rhyme). If you want an idea of how awesome this currently looks and sounds, especially by RPGMaker standards, then just watch the introduction sequence video that was recently released:
 


Despite how aesthetically pleasing this game currently looks (and I know this is based on a small amount of evidence), it's no real surprise to see a Team Cascade project looking and sounding so good. It's definitely one reason to get excited but it isn't a real shock and, because of this, it's not just the aesthetics that are making me have an interest in this project; the real reason Bit Bonton has caught my eye is because the gameplay synopsis is really intriguing.   

From what I can gather, you play as a girl who stumbles across an alternate reality, the titular Bit Bonton, which is made up of vapourware games. On discovering this world is falling apart, she is told that she must help restore Bit Bonton by piecing together items that the world's creator, "The King", left behind in the real world. From this, I can only imagine that puzzle-solving in Bit Bonton leads to clues that will help you in New York City and vice-versa, a duality that really interests me.
 

Why? Mostly because I like it when a puzzle game doesn't come across as a straight-up series of puzzles as this will bore me fairly quickly unless the puzzles are really good; anything that can diversify a puzzle-game from appearing too straight-forward tends to catch my eye and this "two-world" idea does the trick in this particular case.

 
Does that make sense? If not, perhaps this synopsis from the game's webpage will do a better job of explaining:
"Savannah explored her apartment for the first time... when she stumbled into an attic with countless drawings and a dusty computer. Curious, Savannah pressed the ON button, and FLASH! A portal was opened to the new land of Bit Bonton, a broken world on the brink of disappearing. 
Inside this near empty world, a little creature named Bearling explains to Savannah that Bit Bonton is made of vaporware created by The King. Over time, what was left of these places were missing and lost, and the little creature begged Savannah to restore Bit Bonton by finding "artifacts" left by The King in her own world - New York City - and to uncover what happened to their supreme ruler."
What I like even more is that this game is being developed for Sam's Game Drive, the idea behind which being that developers have signed-up to finish a project between now and the first of June. I really, really like the idea behind this game-drive, not only because it gives the developers involved a tangible deadline to aim for, but also because it brings together a small community of developers who will hopefully support each other in their aim to get a project done in the next six to seven months. I'm hoping a lot of good, amateur games spawn out of this and, considering some of the people involved, I'm sure that will be the case; Bit Bonton is just the game that's intrigued me most thus far!
 

23 comments:

  1. dude sweet. I have all 3 Prof. Layton games, and this looks similar. I love games that are intellectually stimulating, whether or not the knowledge is practical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always great post. Prof. Layton games are freakin' excellent for the mental stimulation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved the storylines of prof.layton, but the puzzles were sometimes repetitive. This game looks really cool. What really pulled me into it was the music. my god was it beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds neat. I haven't played a good puzzle game in a while and I'd love to try this when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds pretty cool. Hope it goes far. We could use some new awesome puzzle games.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The music of the game is awesome! Puzzle games are mind stimulating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. puzzle games are great time eaters, also nice piano music in the theme

    ReplyDelete
  8. good review, i've never played it though

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice stuff!
    supportin & following!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy thanksgiving! Following thy

    ReplyDelete
  11. it has a nice intro, i like the music and i like the fact that it keeps you guessing

    ReplyDelete
  12. I reely like your post!
    I follow you dayle!nice work Bro!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i think ill follow ya..good read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You should really make more posts :)

    ReplyDelete