Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Devblog: Why You Back Up Your Projects...

Even though I have a new computer (which is why I've been playing so much Starcraft II and Football Manager 2011 instead of working on my own game), I still use my old laptop when I'm working on Sore Losers: Riot Grrrl (the game I'm developing). I do this because I use MS Paint to create the graphics for this game and the new MS Paint has an annoying habit of changing the colour depth of PNGs when you save them, which causes many a problem if you're using RPGMaker 2003. 

Unfortunately, my laptop has decided to start the very slow process of dying, which would've meant I'd have lost the whole of this game if I wasn't backing it up properly... but I was backing it up properly, so I'll just continue development on my new computer using Paint.NET or something to get around the problems I have with the new edition of MS Paint. 

The lesson here is basically this: BACK UP YOUR PROJECTS!

As far as the blog goes, I know I haven't really stuck anything up for quite a while so I will be trying to get some more reviews out over the christmas period. I don't really have much else to do since I'm staying at my parent's house over the holidays so, if I don't update, I don't really have any excuses!
 

10 comments:

  1. Interesting blog! Follow'd :)
    If anybody knows what it is, a RAID array is a great way to backup your data if you're worried about hard drive failures (which, if you have any data that you care about at all, you should be).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got the exact same games, although didn't install FM 2011 yet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wise words. I travel as much as I can as a way of forcing myself to do occasional backups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, had to reinstall os. Luckily I was able to save the data but I almost lost it :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. good advice, i lost a lot of photoshop stuff from my last hd

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always good to keep backups. I learned that the hard way when I lost my entire work of songs when my computer died :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep a separate computer on my network just for backups! IMO it's that important.

    (you need to turn your captcha off bro)

    ReplyDelete