Thursday, July 14, 2011

Devblog: The Fear


The closer I get to finishing my game, Sore Losers: Riot Grrrl, the more I wonder if I'm doing the right things. I'm usually pretty stalwart about whatever it is I'm doing, as you might have realised from the way I go about reviewing games, but that doesn't mean I'm completely ignorant to the comments that are made about my projects or completely immune to the fear of failure that developers develop the longer they spend working on a project. Unfortunately, and perhaps regrettably, this fear grows despite the fact that a lot of things have been brought to my attention regarding this game. Although I have attempted to fix some of the problems that have been brought forth, I have been quick to dismiss other comments as suggestions that didn't align with what I envisioned this project to be... which was perhaps stupid of me.

Of course, I'm not the sole problem here. On top of my stubbornness is a deeper problem: It is hard to know whether or not certain misgivings are only held by the few or held by the many. I'm painfully aware that comments are hard to come by in the amateur development community and this makes judging a general consensus a difficult task, so I'm making this blog-post in the faint (and perhaps vain) hope that people might give me a list of their problems regarding the Sore Losers: Riot Grrrl demo, however small they may be.

What will I do in return? I'll try my best to address, in some detail, what I think of those suggestions and why I think they are/are not worthwhile and - in doing so - I hope to eradicate some of the fear that comes with nearing the completion of this game. Also, I hope that it'll help people decide whether or not they want to play this game, since they'll get a better idea of what my vision is by me doing this.
 

2 comments: