Friday, July 29, 2011

Tutorial: Unique Weapon Skills In RM2K(3)

Instead of just blabbing on about other people's attempts at amateur development all the time, I figured I would start posting some tutorials for anyone out there who's considering using something like RPGMaker to create a game. Since most of my experience is with the RPGMaker programs, I'm going to focus a lot of these tutorials on those engines, but I hope the general concepts carry across and that people can also use these tutorials to work out how to make things in other programs too!

Without further ado, here is another entry in this series of tutorials: How To Create Unique Weapon Skills In RPGMaker 2K(3)!

-------------------
 
This is a tutorial that will let you create skills that are only usable whilst the character has a certain weapon equipped. This system is heavily used in Sore Losers because I think it brings another dimension to the slightly zany, non-standard weapons you could place in a game; weapons like Paintball Guns and Hockey Sticks. It also adds a little strategy to item selection, meaning that this is a simple way to add a little depth to your game. 

The first step is to make the weapon and the skill respectively. You do not need to do anything special here, just make the weapon and the skill as you normally would any other weapon or skill. Ideally, the skill/weapon combination should be as unique as possible so that the skill needing the weapon makes sense. For instance, using paint to blind enemies would be a good idea for a Paintball Gun skill.

The second and final step is actually coding the event. In the example here, the character "Markus" is going to learn the skill "Hooking" when he equips a "Hockey Stick". If the "Hockey Stick" is unequipped then he will forget the skill. The code is relatively simple and should be placed into the maker as a "Common Event". The event should be set as a "Parallel Process" so that it is always actively checking the equipment the character has on. 

You can see the code here: 


That's it. A simple system that lets you add a slight element of strategy to equipment selection.
 

28 comments:

  1. Btw, I checked your My Games tab up top; I like what I see! It's like your resume! I'm going to try out Frogs, and give you 5 stars on all your ratings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats nice, thanks 4 sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a good tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me want to make a game now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im such a noob regarding this kind of things, but im starting to feel like a know a bit more every time i read this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good information. Could be useful for very many people "]+1

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial, thanks for taking the time to write it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome thanks for sharing! Following+1

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never finished an RPG Maker game, but I've been rather familiar with the series for about six or seven years now. It's great for my nostalgia to see someone actively blogging about it and picking out excellent titles created with those games.

    /Following

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Genetics: Frog is easily the most accessible of the games, being a quirky mix of Pacman and Frogger... and who doesn't like those games!? :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks mate, I love those computing stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Code language reminds me of BASIC

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm, kinda different o:
    But All my coding knowledge is GM and Python >_>

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautiful bog..

    keep writing yeah!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hm... My ability to code would probably get me as far as the first 2 lines. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tutorial. I'm definitely going to have a go at making a game with RPGMaker soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Damnit. I have so much on my plate, and now I want to add this! WHAT TO CODE!?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hell YES! I love coding :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. A figure of truth, of faith, of loyalty: Following!

    ReplyDelete